Sunday, December 27, 2009

Rachael Ray Defends Donuts, Racy Pics

In a wide-ranging interview with ABC's 'Nightline,' airing Monday, the perky Ray talks at length about being on the receiving end of nonstop public scrutiny in recent years, for her cooking style, her role as a donuts-and-coffee spokesperson and of course those racy shots.
"I think I was 35 at the time," she said about the FHM experience. "And I thought about it for a while, and I said, 'You know what? This magazine has as young as 17-, 18-year-olds in hottie bikinis, and these are all actresses, models, pin-up girls. I don't belong to any even remote club of theirs."
"And I thought, 'If I'm gutsy enough to do this, this is a good thing for everybody. This is the everywoman, here she is,'" she added. "And I did it, and it was the most scared I've ever been, and I wouldn't change a thing. I'd do it again tomorrow."
The host of 'Rachael Ray' and '30 Minute Meals' has also taken one on the chin for her endorsement deal with Dunkin' Donuts, and though she admits it "wasn't the greatest thing for my PR," the 40-year-old star doesn't regret her decision.
"They came to me and they said, 'We want to make healthier food for America. You drink a lot of coffee. You grew up on Dunkin' Donuts. Have a cup of Dunkin' Donuts on us.' They gave their support and their money to [Ray's children's charity] Yum-o. They've been very supportive of me. I don't regret a thing. Not for a minute."
Ray calls herself an "all-things-in-moderation kind of person" and enjoys the occasional "warm donut," saying "I don't think there's anything wrong with that."
Many of her fellow TV foodies don't feel the same way about the DD. Anthony Bourdain called Ray's role in commercials for the company "evil" and "like peddling crack to kids." (Ray has taken the high road, only saying "I absolutely love Tony Bourdain"). Gordon Ramsay took a dig at Ray last October in a discussion with the New York Times. When asked what drove him to be a celebrity chef, he replied "It?s not greed or TV or stick your ass to the window to endorse Dunkin? Donuts."
The down-to-earth Ray has built a multi-million dollar since rising to fame on the Food Network, with TV shows, magazines and cookbooks all bearing her name. But don't call her a chef.
"I'm not a chef," she said. "I haven't created any new technique in the kitchen. I'm not a rocket scientist. I think I'm good at writing accessible, fun, and affordable meals for the average American family. That's what I think I'm good at."


Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

0 comments: on "Rachael Ray Defends Donuts, Racy Pics"